Happy International Women’s Day 2023! As this day celebrates women’s social, economic, cultural and political achievements, it’s also an important reminder of the work that still needs to be done. For men, being an ally to women in the workplace is a meaningful way to contribute towards creating a more equal and inclusive working
Here are some practical tips on how men can be better allies to women in the workplace: by taking action to be an ally to women in the workplace, men can help create an equal and inclusive environment for everyone. We hope these tips will help make that happen!
- Listen to women’s experiences and perspectives, and acknowledge male privilege – a crucial part of being an ally is being willed to listen to women’s experiences and
perspectives. This may come in the form of having conversations with women
colleagues, attending events that discuss women’s issues in the workplace or
reading books and articles written by women.
- Challenge gender stereotypes – men can challenge gender stereotypes by avoiding
making assumptions based on someone’s gender, such as what job roles are
suitable for a particular gender.
- Offer to mentor and sponsor women – men can help women progress by offering to mentor and sponsor them. This can include offering advice, giving feedback, recommending them for positions, or championing them for promotions.
- Speak up when you witness injustice – if you witness something in the workplace
that is unjust, such as discrimination or harassment, speak up and take action.
Witness a colleague being talked over in a meeting. Highlight this and ask them to finish their point.
- Don’t take up more space than you need – in meetings and other workplace events,
be aware of how much speaking time you take up and don’t dominate the
conversation. Make sure to allow others, particularly women, to have their voices
By taking action to be an ally to women in the workplace, men can help create an equal and inclusive environment for everyone. We hope these tips will be useful in making that happen!